Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 7:20 am
D-backs GM Kevin Towers: Team will rely more on speed in 2013
During his media session Tuesday, general manager Kevin Towers offered up a different label: not home run-dependent.
"With (Adam) Eaton at the top of the lineup and potentially (Gerardo) Parra when he's in there, I think there's a speed dynamic that we haven't had the last couple of years," Towers said. "Hopefully it's not a ball club that relies on the three-run home run to get back into games or win ballgames.
"I think when you look at our lineup, we're still going to hit a lot of home runs. But, we have more contact-type hitters, hopefully higher on-base (percentage) early in our lineup and an ability to apply pressure."
In 2012, the D-backs finished seventh-best in the league in OBP (.328) and 15th-best in home runs (165).
Speed, however, was a much bigger issue during the team's 81-81 campaign.
Arizona finished last season ranked second-worst in stolen bases percentage (successful only 65 percent of the time) and eighth-worst in stolen bases (93).
"I think it's now a more well-rounded club," said Towers. "I think there's a little more speed with the ball club offensively, a ton of versatility, great character, great makeup."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.