Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 7:20 am
D-backs GM Kevin Towers: Team will rely more on speed in 2013
During his media session Tuesday, general manager Kevin Towers offered up a different label: not home run-dependent.
"With (Adam) Eaton at the top of the lineup and potentially (Gerardo) Parra when he's in there, I think there's a speed dynamic that we haven't had the last couple of years," Towers said. "Hopefully it's not a ball club that relies on the three-run home run to get back into games or win ballgames.
"I think when you look at our lineup, we're still going to hit a lot of home runs. But, we have more contact-type hitters, hopefully higher on-base (percentage) early in our lineup and an ability to apply pressure."
In 2012, the D-backs finished seventh-best in the league in OBP (.328) and 15th-best in home runs (165).
Speed, however, was a much bigger issue during the team's 81-81 campaign.
Arizona finished last season ranked second-worst in stolen bases percentage (successful only 65 percent of the time) and eighth-worst in stolen bases (93).
"I think it's now a more well-rounded club," said Towers. "I think there's a little more speed with the ball club offensively, a ton of versatility, great character, great makeup."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Jake Lamb's late grand slam propels Diamondbacks past Rockies
- Diamondbacks upend Rockies in series opener: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: Daniel Hudson, Chris Owings, A.J. Pollock, Cody Ross may return soon
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.