Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 5:38 pm
D-backs shortstop Gregorius out with injury
According to general manager Kevin Towers, the shortstop has a "slight strain of the UCL area, right elbow."
"Preparing for the [World Baseball Classic], I think it was around Christmas-time, he was playing some long toss and felt some discomfort in the right elbow area."
Towers made sure to note Gregorius' injury is rather minor.
"It's a bundle that is, if there was to have a strain, it's the right area to have a strain," he said.
The 22-year-old was shut down for four to six weeks, with the idea of not swinging a bat or throwing for a while. Towers said it's been about a month since then, so Gregorius is about two weeks away from starting to throw and hit off a tee again.
"Doc said, more than likely he should be ready to start the Major League season or the Minor League season, if not it would be shortly thereafter."
Towers added Gregorius was "probably a long shot" to make the club out of spring training, but said the hope was he'd be able to compete over the next few months and gain some experience.
"We think with the glove and stuff he's ready right now, but it's not going to hurt him to get some more ABs, probably in the minor leagues, before he's up here," he said. "We don't view him as a bench player, so when he comes up here we want him to play."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.