Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 5:38 pm
D-backs shortstop Gregorius out with injury
According to general manager Kevin Towers, the shortstop has a "slight strain of the UCL area, right elbow."
"Preparing for the [World Baseball Classic], I think it was around Christmas-time, he was playing some long toss and felt some discomfort in the right elbow area."
Towers made sure to note Gregorius' injury is rather minor.
"It's a bundle that is, if there was to have a strain, it's the right area to have a strain," he said.
The 22-year-old was shut down for four to six weeks, with the idea of not swinging a bat or throwing for a while. Towers said it's been about a month since then, so Gregorius is about two weeks away from starting to throw and hit off a tee again.
"Doc said, more than likely he should be ready to start the Major League season or the Minor League season, if not it would be shortly thereafter."
Towers added Gregorius was "probably a long shot" to make the club out of spring training, but said the hope was he'd be able to compete over the next few months and gain some experience.
"We think with the glove and stuff he's ready right now, but it's not going to hurt him to get some more ABs, probably in the minor leagues, before he's up here," he said. "We don't view him as a bench player, so when he comes up here we want him to play."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.