Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 5:38 pm
D-backs shortstop Gregorius out with injury
According to general manager Kevin Towers, the shortstop has a "slight strain of the UCL area, right elbow."
"Preparing for the [World Baseball Classic], I think it was around Christmas-time, he was playing some long toss and felt some discomfort in the right elbow area."
Towers made sure to note Gregorius' injury is rather minor.
"It's a bundle that is, if there was to have a strain, it's the right area to have a strain," he said.
The 22-year-old was shut down for four to six weeks, with the idea of not swinging a bat or throwing for a while. Towers said it's been about a month since then, so Gregorius is about two weeks away from starting to throw and hit off a tee again.
"Doc said, more than likely he should be ready to start the Major League season or the Minor League season, if not it would be shortly thereafter."
Towers added Gregorius was "probably a long shot" to make the club out of spring training, but said the hope was he'd be able to compete over the next few months and gain some experience.
"We think with the glove and stuff he's ready right now, but it's not going to hurt him to get some more ABs, probably in the minor leagues, before he's up here," he said. "We don't view him as a bench player, so when he comes up here we want him to play."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.