Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 5:38 pm
D-backs shortstop Gregorius out with injury
According to general manager Kevin Towers, the shortstop has a "slight strain of the UCL area, right elbow."
"Preparing for the [World Baseball Classic], I think it was around Christmas-time, he was playing some long toss and felt some discomfort in the right elbow area."
Towers made sure to note Gregorius' injury is rather minor.
"It's a bundle that is, if there was to have a strain, it's the right area to have a strain," he said.
The 22-year-old was shut down for four to six weeks, with the idea of not swinging a bat or throwing for a while. Towers said it's been about a month since then, so Gregorius is about two weeks away from starting to throw and hit off a tee again.
"Doc said, more than likely he should be ready to start the Major League season or the Minor League season, if not it would be shortly thereafter."
Towers added Gregorius was "probably a long shot" to make the club out of spring training, but said the hope was he'd be able to compete over the next few months and gain some experience.
"We think with the glove and stuff he's ready right now, but it's not going to hurt him to get some more ABs, probably in the minor leagues, before he's up here," he said. "We don't view him as a bench player, so when he comes up here we want him to play."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.