Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 1:34 pm
Mark Grace to work for Diamondbacks as assistant coach
The D-backs confirmed Monday that Grace will be an assistant coach. He will work as an infielding and hitting instructor during Spring Training and will roam between minor league teams during the regular season.
"Mark's going to have a great influence, of course he had a special career but in addition to that he can now talk to them and teach them the rights and wrongs off the field," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said. "He's a perfect example and he's told us he's willing to do so."
Grace was arrested last summer for driving under the influence after having done the same thing in May 2011. He started a fourth month stay at "Tent City" on February 10, where he will be from 5:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. on a daily basis. He is only allowed to leave in order to go to work.
Grace played for the Diamondbacks from 2001-2003 and helped the team win the World Series in 2001. Before that he was with the Chicago Cubs, and D-backs manager Kirk Gibson believes the former All-Star has plenty to offer the team in his new role.
"He's got a lot of knowledge and wisdom, he's been in the game a long time and he's got a great sense of humor," Gibson said. "We felt like he had something to add."
Gibson called the move a "no brainer" and said things have been going well so far.
Grace was a career .303 hitter who also won four Gold Gloves at first base. He had been working on the TV broadcasts for the team since 2004.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.