Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 1:34 pm
Mark Grace to work for Diamondbacks as assistant coach
The D-backs confirmed Monday that Grace will be an assistant coach. He will work as an infielding and hitting instructor during Spring Training and will roam between minor league teams during the regular season.
"Mark's going to have a great influence, of course he had a special career but in addition to that he can now talk to them and teach them the rights and wrongs off the field," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said. "He's a perfect example and he's told us he's willing to do so."
Grace was arrested last summer for driving under the influence after having done the same thing in May 2011. He started a fourth month stay at "Tent City" on February 10, where he will be from 5:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. on a daily basis. He is only allowed to leave in order to go to work.
Grace played for the Diamondbacks from 2001-2003 and helped the team win the World Series in 2001. Before that he was with the Chicago Cubs, and D-backs manager Kirk Gibson believes the former All-Star has plenty to offer the team in his new role.
"He's got a lot of knowledge and wisdom, he's been in the game a long time and he's got a great sense of humor," Gibson said. "We felt like he had something to add."
Gibson called the move a "no brainer" and said things have been going well so far.
Grace was a career .303 hitter who also won four Gold Gloves at first base. He had been working on the TV broadcasts for the team since 2004.
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.