Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 1:34 pm
Mark Grace to work for Diamondbacks as assistant coach
The D-backs confirmed Monday that Grace will be an assistant coach. He will work as an infielding and hitting instructor during Spring Training and will roam between minor league teams during the regular season.
"Mark's going to have a great influence, of course he had a special career but in addition to that he can now talk to them and teach them the rights and wrongs off the field," Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall said. "He's a perfect example and he's told us he's willing to do so."
Grace was arrested last summer for driving under the influence after having done the same thing in May 2011. He started a fourth month stay at "Tent City" on February 10, where he will be from 5:00 p.m. to 5:00 a.m. on a daily basis. He is only allowed to leave in order to go to work.
Grace played for the Diamondbacks from 2001-2003 and helped the team win the World Series in 2001. Before that he was with the Chicago Cubs, and D-backs manager Kirk Gibson believes the former All-Star has plenty to offer the team in his new role.
"He's got a lot of knowledge and wisdom, he's been in the game a long time and he's got a great sense of humor," Gibson said. "We felt like he had something to add."
Gibson called the move a "no brainer" and said things have been going well so far.
Grace was a career .303 hitter who also won four Gold Gloves at first base. He had been working on the TV broadcasts for the team since 2004.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.