Updated Feb 12, 2013 - 8:15 am
Montero on Trevor Bauer: 'He never wanted to listen'
It would be unfair to classify him as having "feuded" with the likes of Kirk Gibson and catcher Miguel Montero, but it's fair to speculate that his personality rubbed folks the wrong way, which eventually led to the pitcher being traded to Cleveland in the offseason.
With the 2013 campaign set to begin, Montero, who caught for Bauer, admitted it was not easy working with the young right-hander.
"It was tough," Montero told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo at FanFest Saturday. "When you get a guy like that and he thinks he's got everything figured out, it's just tough to commence and try to get on the same page with you."
Montero said the goal was to simplify things for the rookie, but the cerebral Bauer wanted no part of that.
"He would make it even harder," Montero said.
Bauer struggled in four starts with the D-backs, compiling a 1-2 record to go along with a 6.06 ERA. He walked 13 batters in 16.1 innings while striking out 17.
It would have been easier for the organization to work through the player's growing pains had he simply been easier to work with.
"Since day one in Spring Training I caught him and he killed me because he threw about 100 pitches the first day," Montero said, adding he told Bauer he should take it a bit slower and work on locating his fastball first before working on his breaking pitches.
"And he said 'yes', and the next time he threw I saw him doing the same thing," Montero said. "He never wanted to listen."
As one of the team leaders, Montero is a player who should probably be listened to. One of the game's better catchers, Bauer's unwillingness to work with him did not bode well for his future in the desert.
"He's got his ways, and it's tough to change it," Montero said. "Good luck to (Indians catcher) Carlos Santana there."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Beckett, Puig silence D-backs in series-clinching win for Dodgers: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Bolsinger struggles in first career start
- Ethier's HR propels Dodgers over Diamondbacks
- D-backs lose early lead, fall to Dodgers: By The Numbers
- Reserve outfielder Tony Campana supplies spark during D-backs' sluggish start
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.