Updated Feb 7, 2013 - 9:54 am
Law ranks D-backs' farm system 15th in MLB
At least, according to ESPN MLB insider Keith Law.
In an ESPN Insider piece (ie: subscription only), ranking every team's minor league system, Law puts the D-backs at 15.
Dealing Trevor Bauer for 50 cents on the dollar didn't help, nor did failing to get any of Atlanta's top six prospects in the Justin Upton trade, but the Diamondbacks are still very deep in arms and now oddly deep in shortstops who can field but don't get on base. Two solid draft classes have helped, as well as strong work on the development side in taking guys such as Matt Davidson, Adam Eaton and David Holmberg, and helping them exceed the limits of their raw tools.
Law's feelings on the D-backs' offseason echo those many baseball "experts" have had in that the team may not have received proper value in some of the trades it made over the offseason.
However, as Law notes, it is not as if the farm system has been depleted, and some of the better prospects could be ready to make an impact in 2013.
Eaton and Tyler Skaggs are big league ready, Davidson is close but is now blocked, and they have two starter prospects in Andrew Chafin and Anthony Meo who might be better off in relief roles, where they'd also be close to contributing in the majors.
Of course, Law also gives a "sleeper" category, and headlining that list is a recent top pick.
Stryker Trahan, their 2012 first-rounder, isn't under the radar but has the best chance of any of their non-top-100 guys to make a big move onto the list next year, a potential impact bat from the left side who has the quickness and arm to catch but needs a lot of work on receiving and especially blocking balls. Two smaller sleepers from this past draft: infielder Andrew Velazquez and right-hander Ben Eckels, their 7th- and 11th-round picks, respectively, who both looked very strong in rookie ball and might jump into the team's top 10 next winter.
Law's entire list, in order, is as follows:
1. Tyler Skaggs, LHP
2. Archie Bradley, RHP
3. Matt Davidson, 3B
4. Adam Eaton, CF
5. Stryker Trahan, C
6. David Holmberg, LHP
7. Chris Owings, SS
8. Didi Gregorius, SS
9. Andrew Chafin, LHP
10. Anthony Meo, RHP
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: D-backs set sights on acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.