Updated Feb 4, 2013 - 1:26 pm
Former Diamondback Brandon Webb to retire
The ace of the Arizona Diamondbacks' staff, Webb had been an All-Star three times and won the NL Cy Young Award in 2006.
The right-hander got shelled that afternoon, allowing six earned runs in just four innings of work. He walked two and struck out two.
It was learned soon after that Webb had problems with his shoulder, and what followed was a lengthy and fruitless rehab process that never led to the pitcher returning to the mound in a big league game.
And now, as reported by ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick , instead of continuing to throw towels in hopes of healing, Webb is throwing in the towel on his MLB career.
Webb hangs up the cleats with a record of 87-62 with a 3.27 ERA. He pitched 1,319.2 innings, allowing 1,200 hits and 435 walks. He struck out 1,065 batters and tallied eight career shutouts.
Webb ranks third on the D-backs' all-time list in ERA and is second in wins, innings pitched, strikeouts, games started and shutouts.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.