Updated Feb 4, 2013 - 1:26 pm
Former Diamondback Brandon Webb to retire
The ace of the Arizona Diamondbacks' staff, Webb had been an All-Star three times and won the NL Cy Young Award in 2006.
The right-hander got shelled that afternoon, allowing six earned runs in just four innings of work. He walked two and struck out two.
It was learned soon after that Webb had problems with his shoulder, and what followed was a lengthy and fruitless rehab process that never led to the pitcher returning to the mound in a big league game.
And now, as reported by ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick , instead of continuing to throw towels in hopes of healing, Webb is throwing in the towel on his MLB career.
Webb hangs up the cleats with a record of 87-62 with a 3.27 ERA. He pitched 1,319.2 innings, allowing 1,200 hits and 435 walks. He struck out 1,065 batters and tallied eight career shutouts.
Webb ranks third on the D-backs' all-time list in ERA and is second in wins, innings pitched, strikeouts, games started and shutouts.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?