Updated Feb 4, 2013 - 1:26 pm
Former Diamondback Brandon Webb to retire
The ace of the Arizona Diamondbacks' staff, Webb had been an All-Star three times and won the NL Cy Young Award in 2006.
The right-hander got shelled that afternoon, allowing six earned runs in just four innings of work. He walked two and struck out two.
It was learned soon after that Webb had problems with his shoulder, and what followed was a lengthy and fruitless rehab process that never led to the pitcher returning to the mound in a big league game.
And now, as reported by ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick , instead of continuing to throw towels in hopes of healing, Webb is throwing in the towel on his MLB career.
Webb hangs up the cleats with a record of 87-62 with a 3.27 ERA. He pitched 1,319.2 innings, allowing 1,200 hits and 435 walks. He struck out 1,065 batters and tallied eight career shutouts.
Webb ranks third on the D-backs' all-time list in ERA and is second in wins, innings pitched, strikeouts, games started and shutouts.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.