Updated Jan 24, 2013 - 4:13 pm
D-backs 1B Lars Anderson designated for assignment
Diamondbacks Vice President and General Manager Kevin Towers made the announcement via press release Thursday.
With Paul Goldschmidt locked in as the starting first baseman, veteran Eric Chavez's ability to back him up on days off and Prado's versatility, Anderson was the odd man out in the Diamondbacks' latest set of roster moves.
The 25-year-old came to Arizona, along with shortstop Didi Gregorius, last December via a three-team trade that landed starting pitcher Trevor Bauer in Cleveland and outfielder Shin-Soo Choo in Cincinnati.
In 2012 Anderson hit .250 (99-for-396) with 27 doubles, 9 home runs and 59 RBI in 111 games with Triple-A Pawtucket (Red Sox) and Triple-A Columbus (Indians) in 2012. He also appeared in 6 games with Boston, going 1-for-8 (.125).
- Arizona Diamondbacks acquire 3 as players to be named later from December trades
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.