Updated Jan 24, 2013 - 4:13 pm
D-backs 1B Lars Anderson designated for assignment
Diamondbacks Vice President and General Manager Kevin Towers made the announcement via press release Thursday.
With Paul Goldschmidt locked in as the starting first baseman, veteran Eric Chavez's ability to back him up on days off and Prado's versatility, Anderson was the odd man out in the Diamondbacks' latest set of roster moves.
The 25-year-old came to Arizona, along with shortstop Didi Gregorius, last December via a three-team trade that landed starting pitcher Trevor Bauer in Cleveland and outfielder Shin-Soo Choo in Cincinnati.
In 2012 Anderson hit .250 (99-for-396) with 27 doubles, 9 home runs and 59 RBI in 111 games with Triple-A Pawtucket (Red Sox) and Triple-A Columbus (Indians) in 2012. He also appeared in 6 games with Boston, going 1-for-8 (.125).
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.