Updated Jan 24, 2013 - 8:50 am
D-backs trade Justin Upton to Atlanta Braves
According to various reports, the D-backs have traded Upton to the Atlanta Braves along with third baseman Chris Johnson for outfielder/third baseman Martin Prado, right-handed starter Randall Delgado, shortstop Nick Ahmed, right-hander Zeke Spruill and infielder Brandon Drury.
Upton, a two-time All-Star, will now play alongside his older brother, B.J., who signed a five-year, $75 million deal in the offseason.
At the center of the return for the Diamondbacks is Prado, who was an All-Star in 2010. Last season, Prado hit .301 with 10 homers and 70 RBI in 156 games for Atlanta. Prado, 29, has one year left on his contract. He requested $7.05 million in arbitration from Atlanta and was offered $6.65 from the club.
Delgado started 17 games for the Braves last season, posting a 4-9 record and a 4.37 ERA. He is 22 years old.
Ahmed, 22, was a second round pick of the Braves in 2011. He spent the 2012 season with Lynchburg in Class-A ball. He batted .269 with six home runs and 49 RBI while posting a .963 fielding percentage.
Spruill, is rated as the Braves' ninth-best prospect according to Baseball America. The 6-foot-5, 190-pound righty went 9-11 with a 3.67 ERA in 2012 for Double-A Mississippi. He has a 38-33 record in five minor league seasons after being a second round pick of the Braves out of Kell High School in Marietta, Georgia in 2008.
Drury, 20, was a 13th round selection of the Braves in 2010. He spent 2012 with Rome in the Class-A South Atlantic League, hitting .229 with six homers and 51 RBI while playing primarily the corner infield positions.
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.