Updated Jan 22, 2013 - 3:09 pm
MLB.com: Tyler Skaggs top left-handed pitching prospect
And according to MLB.com Tyler Skaggs, who is one of their prospects, is the best left-handed pitching prospect in the game.
Skaggs was taken 40th overall by the Angels in 2009 and signed for $1 million. He was then traded to the D-backs in 2010 as part of the Dan Haren trade and he has established himself as one of the top young lefties in the game. Skaggs, who started the Futures Game in 2011, pitched well at two Minor League levels in 2012 before making his Major League debut. He has excellent command of all of his pitches, which include a plus curveball and changeup to go with a good fastball. When Arizona parted ways with Trevor Bauer in a trade with Cleveland, Skaggs became the no-doubt-about-it top pitching prospect in the D-backs system.
Skaggs made his Major League debut with the D-backs last season, going 1-3 with a 5.83 ERA in six starts. Still, his potential likely helped in the team's decision to part with top prospect Trevor Bauer, and it's apparent the team is not alone in its high hopes for the young lefty.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.