Updated Jan 18, 2013 - 2:27 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks avoid arbitration with four players
According to a team press release, the D-backs agreed to terms on one-year contracts with ace Ian Kennedy, right-handed pitcher Brad Ziegler, infielder Chris Johnson and left-handed hurler Tony Sipp.
Kennedy had a record of 15-12 with a 4.02 ERA last season for the D-backs. The 28-year-old was nominated for the National League Cy Young Award in 2011 after posting a 21-4 record and helped lead the D-backs to the National League West title.
The 28-year-old Johnson was acquired in July for the Astros to help bolster third base from the D-backs, who had struggled to gain production out of that position in 2012. He hit .281 with 15 home runs and 76 RBI in 136 games combined with Houston and Arizona last season.
The 33-year-old Ziegler posted career-best marks in wins, innings pitched, opponents average and appearances in his first full campaign with Arizona last season. The 33-year-old has emerged as an integral part of the D-backs bullpen.
Sipp held a 1-2 record with one save and a 4.42 ERA in 63 games with the Cleveland Indians last year. He came to the D-backs via a three-team trade on December 10, 2012.
The D-backs have still have not reached deals with two other arbitration-eligible players Gerardo Parra and Cliff Pennington.
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.