Updated Jan 17, 2013 - 8:58 am
D-backs land two members on Team USA
Infielder Willie Bloomquist and relief pitcher Heath Bell are both included on the 27-man provisional roster released Thursday morning.
Bloomquist, 35, hit .302 with 23 RBI in 80 games for Arizona in 2012. This will be his first experience in the World Baseball Classic.
Bell, 35, came to the Diamondbacks in an offseason trade with the Miami Marlins. In 2012, the right-hander went 4-5 with a 5.09 ERA and 19 saves in 73 appearances. Bell played in the 2009 World Baseball Classic for Team USA, which finished fourth in the competition. In the tournament, Bell pitched in four games (3.2 innings), posting a 7.36 ERA.
Team USA will play in Pool D along with Italy, Canada and Mexico. First round games start March 8 at Chase Field in Phoenix.
Team USA Provisional Roster for 2013 World Baseball Classic
Jeremy Affeldt - San Francisco Giants - LHP
J.P. Arencibia - Toronto Blue Jays - C
Heath Bell - Arizona Diamondbacks - RHP
Willie Bloomquist - Arizona Diamondbacks - UTL
Mitchell Boggs - St. Louis Cardinals - RHP
Ryan Braun - Milwaukee Brewers - OF
Steve Cishek - Miami Marlins - RHP
Tim Collins - Kansas City Royals - LHP
R.A. Dickey - Toronto Blue Jays - RHP
Luke Gregerson - San Diego Padres - RHP
Derek Holland - Texas Rangers - LHP
Adam Jones - Baltimore Orioles - OF
Craig Kimbrel - Atlanta Braves - RHP
Jonathan Lucroy - Milwaukee Brewers - C
Joe Mauer - Minnesota Twins - C
Kris Medlen - Atlanta Braves - RHP
Chris Perez - Cleveland Indians - RHP
Glen Perkins - Minnesota Twins - LHP
Vinnie Pestano - Cleveland Indians - RHP
Brandon Phillips - Cincinnati Reds - IF
Jimmy Rollins - Philadelphia Phillies - IF
Giancarlo Stanton - Miami Marlins - OF
Mark Teixeira - New York Yankees - IF
Shane Victorino - Boston Red Sox - OF
Ryan Vogelsong - San Francisco Giants - RHP
David Wright - New York Mets - IF
Ben Zobrist - Tampa Bay Rays - UTL
Joe Torre - Manager
Larry Bowa - Bench coach
Marcel Lachemann - Bullpen/pitching coach
Greg Maddux - Pitching coach
Dale Murphy - First base coach
Gerald Perry - Hitting coach
Willie Randolph - Third base coach
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?