Diamondbacks, J.J. Putz agree to one-year extension
The extension, coupled with the option the team exercised in October, will keep the reliever under contract through the 2014 season.
"J.J. has provided much-needed leadership and stability for our bullpen the last two years," said D-backs GM Kevin Towers in a press release. "He has been an integral piece and helped set the foundation for our bullpen's turnaround so we are excited to have him in place the next two seasons."
Putz, 35, posted a 1-5 record with a 2.82 ERA in 2012. He saved 32 games and struck out 65 batters in 54.1 innings of work.
Putz joined the D-backs prior to the 2011 season, when he went on to be one of the best closers on one of the league's best teams. He saved 45 games that year, and had an ERA of just 2.17 in 58 innings of work.
"I'm very happy to be a member of the great D-backs organization and family though 2014," said Putz in the press release. "It's special to be with my family year round so we're all really excited."
Putz, who has also pitched for the Mariners, Mets and White Sox, has a career ERA of 3.04 with 183 saves.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series