Diamondbacks, J.J. Putz agree to one-year extension
The extension, coupled with the option the team exercised in October, will keep the reliever under contract through the 2014 season.
"J.J. has provided much-needed leadership and stability for our bullpen the last two years," said D-backs GM Kevin Towers in a press release. "He has been an integral piece and helped set the foundation for our bullpen's turnaround so we are excited to have him in place the next two seasons."
Putz, 35, posted a 1-5 record with a 2.82 ERA in 2012. He saved 32 games and struck out 65 batters in 54.1 innings of work.
Putz joined the D-backs prior to the 2011 season, when he went on to be one of the best closers on one of the league's best teams. He saved 45 games that year, and had an ERA of just 2.17 in 58 innings of work.
"I'm very happy to be a member of the great D-backs organization and family though 2014," said Putz in the press release. "It's special to be with my family year round so we're all really excited."
Putz, who has also pitched for the Mariners, Mets and White Sox, has a career ERA of 3.04 with 183 saves.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer