Updated Jan 14, 2013 - 4:09 pm
Diamondbacks, J.J. Putz agree to one-year extension
The extension, coupled with the option the team exercised in October, will keep the reliever under contract through the 2014 season.
"J.J. has provided much-needed leadership and stability for our bullpen the last two years," said D-backs GM Kevin Towers in a press release. "He has been an integral piece and helped set the foundation for our bullpen's turnaround so we are excited to have him in place the next two seasons."
Putz, 35, posted a 1-5 record with a 2.82 ERA in 2012. He saved 32 games and struck out 65 batters in 54.1 innings of work.
Putz joined the D-backs prior to the 2011 season, when he went on to be one of the best closers on one of the league's best teams. He saved 45 games that year, and had an ERA of just 2.17 in 58 innings of work.
"I'm very happy to be a member of the great D-backs organization and family though 2014," said Putz in the press release. "It's special to be with my family year round so we're all really excited."
Putz, who has also pitched for the Mariners, Mets and White Sox, has a career ERA of 3.04 with 183 saves.
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.