Updated Jan 14, 2013 - 4:09 pm
Diamondbacks, J.J. Putz agree to one-year extension
The extension, coupled with the option the team exercised in October, will keep the reliever under contract through the 2014 season.
"J.J. has provided much-needed leadership and stability for our bullpen the last two years," said D-backs GM Kevin Towers in a press release. "He has been an integral piece and helped set the foundation for our bullpen's turnaround so we are excited to have him in place the next two seasons."
Putz, 35, posted a 1-5 record with a 2.82 ERA in 2012. He saved 32 games and struck out 65 batters in 54.1 innings of work.
Putz joined the D-backs prior to the 2011 season, when he went on to be one of the best closers on one of the league's best teams. He saved 45 games that year, and had an ERA of just 2.17 in 58 innings of work.
"I'm very happy to be a member of the great D-backs organization and family though 2014," said Putz in the press release. "It's special to be with my family year round so we're all really excited."
Putz, who has also pitched for the Mariners, Mets and White Sox, has a career ERA of 3.04 with 183 saves.
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.