Updated Jan 14, 2013 - 8:04 am
CBS insider: Kevin Towers won't take less than Mariners' package
If the two-time All-Star is to change uniforms before spring training begins in less than two months, the bar has been set pretty high.
According to CBS MLB Insider Jon Heyman, D-backs general manager Kevin Towers will not be "taking less" than the package he would have received from the Seattle Mariners had Upton approved the deal.
Upton has been on the block a few times over the past two-plus years, the Diamondbacks have an excess of very good outfielders after signing free agent Cody Ross, and while folks on other teams wonder now whether Arizona likes Upton as much as other teams do, Towers pointed out that was the only trade he agreed to involving the former No. 1 pick in all this time.
Towers also said owner Ken Kendrick is "fine" with them keeping all their outfielders. Kendrick expressed a strong affinity for Upton in this space a couple months ago, though he's obviously leaving the call up to Towers.
If the call is up to Towers, teams will have to basically give up an arm and a leg to acquire Upton at this point.
In the deal the right fielder vetoed Thursday, the Mariners were willing to part with relievers Charlie Furbush and Stephen Pryor, minor-league shortstop Nick Franklin and top prospect Taijuan Walker.
While Heyman cited that many executives around the league called the proposed deal rather one-sided in favor of the D-backs, Arizona's GM had a different take of his negotiations with the Mariners.
Towers suggested the Seattle deal, which got a lot of attention around baseball as a rather large package, should be looked at as the baseline for another deal, not the ceiling.
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.