Updated Jan 13, 2013 - 10:47 am
Report: New York Yankees likely not in on Justin Upton
Although the New York Yankees are certainly in the market for a right-handed bat, Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reported Sunday that Brian Cashman and Co. probably won't be swapping phone calls with Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers.
The Yankees' newfound mantra of fiscal responsibility - a $189 million payroll in 2014, not a penny more - has stifled a number of potential moves this winter, including their willingness to meet the Diamondbacks' price for the two-time All-Star.
The Yankees indeed want to add a right-handed hitter but haven't picked up their pursuit of Upton in the days since he was nearly dealt to Seattle, according to major-league sources.
In addition to their desire to conserve payroll, the Bronx Bombers are not short on outfielders (Curtis Granderson, Ichiro Suzuki, Brett Gardner, Matt Diaz) and have a dearth of talented prospects in their farm system that would help consummate a trade.
So while the Yankees have been known to spend money at will in order to acquire the biggest name, don't expect Upton to trade in sedona red for pinstripes any time soon.
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.