Updated Jan 13, 2013 - 10:47 am
Report: New York Yankees likely not in on Justin Upton
Although the New York Yankees are certainly in the market for a right-handed bat, Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reported Sunday that Brian Cashman and Co. probably won't be swapping phone calls with Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers.
The Yankees' newfound mantra of fiscal responsibility - a $189 million payroll in 2014, not a penny more - has stifled a number of potential moves this winter, including their willingness to meet the Diamondbacks' price for the two-time All-Star.
The Yankees indeed want to add a right-handed hitter but haven't picked up their pursuit of Upton in the days since he was nearly dealt to Seattle, according to major-league sources.
In addition to their desire to conserve payroll, the Bronx Bombers are not short on outfielders (Curtis Granderson, Ichiro Suzuki, Brett Gardner, Matt Diaz) and have a dearth of talented prospects in their farm system that would help consummate a trade.
So while the Yankees have been known to spend money at will in order to acquire the biggest name, don't expect Upton to trade in sedona red for pinstripes any time soon.
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.