Updated Jan 13, 2013 - 10:47 am
Report: New York Yankees likely not in on Justin Upton
Although the New York Yankees are certainly in the market for a right-handed bat, Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reported Sunday that Brian Cashman and Co. probably won't be swapping phone calls with Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers.
The Yankees' newfound mantra of fiscal responsibility - a $189 million payroll in 2014, not a penny more - has stifled a number of potential moves this winter, including their willingness to meet the Diamondbacks' price for the two-time All-Star.
The Yankees indeed want to add a right-handed hitter but haven't picked up their pursuit of Upton in the days since he was nearly dealt to Seattle, according to major-league sources.
In addition to their desire to conserve payroll, the Bronx Bombers are not short on outfielders (Curtis Granderson, Ichiro Suzuki, Brett Gardner, Matt Diaz) and have a dearth of talented prospects in their farm system that would help consummate a trade.
So while the Yankees have been known to spend money at will in order to acquire the biggest name, don't expect Upton to trade in sedona red for pinstripes any time soon.
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.