Updated Jan 11, 2013 - 11:32 pm
Report: New York Mets interested in trading for Justin Upton
The New York Mets have long been the younger brother in the Big Apple, and after losing notable pieces in recent years (Carlos Beltran, Jason Bay, Angel Pagan and 2012 Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey), general manager Sandy Alderson would love nothing more than to make a back page splash.
According to Maric Carig of Newsday, that splash not surprisingly may come in the form of Upton:
Sources say the Mets are again interested in trading for Justin Upton. But it's a longshot that they'll give up enough prospects for a deal.— Marc Carig (@MarcCarig) January 12, 2013
The prospects GM Kevin Towers most likely covets (pitchers Zach Wheeler, Matt Harvey, Jeurys Famila and infielder Wilmer Flores) will assuredly be difficult to obtain as Carig mentions.
Heading into 2013, Wheeler (No.1), Flores (No. 6) and Famila (No.8) are ranked among the organization's top 10 prospects by Baseball America.
Harvey went 3-5 with 70 strikeouts and a 2.73 ERA after being called up in July. He is familiar with Chase Field, however. In his MLB debut, Harvey gave up only three hits, while striking out 11 batters in 3-1 win over the D-backs.
Another day, another rumor in the life of Justin Upton.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?