Updated Jan 11, 2013 - 11:32 pm
Report: New York Mets interested in trading for Justin Upton
The New York Mets have long been the younger brother in the Big Apple, and after losing notable pieces in recent years (Carlos Beltran, Jason Bay, Angel Pagan and 2012 Cy Young winner R.A. Dickey), general manager Sandy Alderson would love nothing more than to make a back page splash.
According to Maric Carig of Newsday, that splash not surprisingly may come in the form of Upton:
Sources say the Mets are again interested in trading for Justin Upton. But it's a longshot that they'll give up enough prospects for a deal.— Marc Carig (@MarcCarig) January 12, 2013
The prospects GM Kevin Towers most likely covets (pitchers Zach Wheeler, Matt Harvey, Jeurys Famila and infielder Wilmer Flores) will assuredly be difficult to obtain as Carig mentions.
Heading into 2013, Wheeler (No.1), Flores (No. 6) and Famila (No.8) are ranked among the organization's top 10 prospects by Baseball America.
Harvey went 3-5 with 70 strikeouts and a 2.73 ERA after being called up in July. He is familiar with Chase Field, however. In his MLB debut, Harvey gave up only three hits, while striking out 11 batters in 3-1 win over the D-backs.
Another day, another rumor in the life of Justin Upton.
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.