Updated Jan 10, 2013 - 12:25 pm
Chase Field's 'Uptown' sign is coming down
Aptly named 'Uptown', the right field bleachers were a tribute to the player who was supposed to be a perennial All-Star and face of the franchise.
While Upton has shown glimpses of being that guy, his inconsistency has caused some to doubt his future.
And Thursday, Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro reported Chase Field's future will no longer included Uptown.
Uptown signs coming down at Chase! Don't read anything into it, was something agreed to at end of season by both parties...— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) January 10, 2013
It's tough not to read anything into the move, especially with persistent trade rumors surrounding the player. Should the D-backs trade the outfielder they would have to get rid of the section, so this could be a pre-emptive move.
Then again, it's possible this decision has no ties to Upton's future other than the player not wanting his own section in the ballpark.
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?