MLB insider: Arizona Diamondbacks discussed Upton for Headley swap
The Arizona Diamondbacks are still listening to offers for right-fielder Justin Upton.
According to FOXSports.com writer Ken Rosenthal, the D-backs and Padres were talking about an Upton for Chase Headley swap but those discussions have not advanced.
Rosenthal reported the two teams were talking about a potential trade involving both players since July.
The D-backs are still looking to find a suitor for Upton and have talked with others teams, including the Texas Rangers and Seattle Mariners. The Mariners are on Upton's no-trade list, which could complicate a deal with Seattle. The Atlanta Braves have also expressed strong interest in obtaining Upton.
Arizona is still entertaining offers for left-fielder Jason Kubel but with Upton's reasonable contract and high upside he could net a far larger package in return.
Headley hit .286 with 31 home runs and an NL-best 115 RBI. He finished fifth in the NL MVP voting in 2012.
Upton batted .280 with 17 longballs and and 67 RBI for the D-backs.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.