Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 2:12 pm
ESPN MLB insider: D-backs once again open to trading Justin Upton
After all, the D-backs acquired a young shortstop, so what more could they need?
Then the Diamondbacks went and signed free agent outfielder Cody Ross, creating quite a logjam to have to sort out. Because while Upton, Ross, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock are all solid options, there are only three everyday spots available.
Someone -- maybe a couple someones -- was going to have to go.
And despite D-backs GM Kevin Towers consistently proclaiming an appreciation for Upton, ESPN MLB insider Buster Olney is reporting the 25-year-old is back on the trading block.
Arizona very much open again to talking about trading Justin Upton w/other teams, and not surprisingly, their specific demands have changed.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
The Diamondbacks have viewed Seattle as a possible landing spot for Upton, but remember, he would have to approve any deal to Mariners.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Some officials now convinced that it'll be Upton, rather than Kubel, who will be the outfielder that Arizona moves before start of its camp.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Upton hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI for the underachieving D-backs last year. The face of the franchise, in the eyes of many he represented all that was wrong with the team. However, he is just one season removed from a year in which he hit .289 with 31 home runs, 88 RBI and 21 stolen bases, so Upton obviously has potential.
And if Olney is correct, it would seem the D-backs are about ready to give up on it.
- Mark Grace named D-backs minor league hitting coach
- Luis Gonzalez: Mark Trumbo a Christmas gift for Paul Goldschmidt
- Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Luis Gonzalez, D-backs World Series Legend - Friday December 20Gonzo discusses the Trumbo trade and what it means for the D-backs.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?