Updated Jan 3, 2013 - 2:12 pm
ESPN MLB insider: D-backs once again open to trading Justin Upton
After all, the D-backs acquired a young shortstop, so what more could they need?
Then the Diamondbacks went and signed free agent outfielder Cody Ross, creating quite a logjam to have to sort out. Because while Upton, Ross, Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton, Gerardo Parra and A.J. Pollock are all solid options, there are only three everyday spots available.
Someone -- maybe a couple someones -- was going to have to go.
And despite D-backs GM Kevin Towers consistently proclaiming an appreciation for Upton, ESPN MLB insider Buster Olney is reporting the 25-year-old is back on the trading block.
Arizona very much open again to talking about trading Justin Upton w/other teams, and not surprisingly, their specific demands have changed.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
The Diamondbacks have viewed Seattle as a possible landing spot for Upton, but remember, he would have to approve any deal to Mariners.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Some officials now convinced that it'll be Upton, rather than Kubel, who will be the outfielder that Arizona moves before start of its camp.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) January 3, 2013
Upton hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI for the underachieving D-backs last year. The face of the franchise, in the eyes of many he represented all that was wrong with the team. However, he is just one season removed from a year in which he hit .289 with 31 home runs, 88 RBI and 21 stolen bases, so Upton obviously has potential.
And if Olney is correct, it would seem the D-backs are about ready to give up on it.
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.