Updated Dec 19, 2012 - 2:52 pm
Turner Ward becomes D-backs assistant hitting coach
Mobile is the Double-A affiliate of the D-backs.
Ward served as the Bay Bears manager for two seasons, leading the team to back-to-back Southern League championships. They were also honored as Baseball America's Minor League Team of the Year in 2011.
In two seasons as Mobile's skipper, Ward posted an overall record of 153-124.
Ward played in the Major Leagues from 1990 to 2001 for six different teams, including a 25-game stint with the Diamondbacks in 1999 and 2000. In his career, Ward hit .251 (389-for-1,548) with 39 home runs and 219 runs batted in.
Another former Diamondback, Andy Green, is expected to take over Ward's managerial post.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.