Updated Dec 12, 2012 - 3:15 pm
D-backs GM Towers on Bauer trade: 'We liked Gregorius better'
"We liked Gregorius better," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday.
Towers was discussing the reasoning behind the trade he made the day before, which sent out Bauer along with pitchers Bryan Shaw and Matt Albers in exchange for shortstop Didi Gregorius, pitcher Tony Sipp and first baseman Lars Anderson.
The move has been questioned by many, as the thought of trading Bauer is a tough one to swallow. The pitcher was taken third overall in the 2011 MLB Draft and, while he struggled in a short stint with the D-backs last summer, is still thought of as one of the game's better pitching prospects.
However, Towers said the team needed to add quality depth at the shortstop position, and this was the time to do it.
"Other than Chris Owings we lacked depth in our system," he said. "We didn't want to put all of our eggs in one basket on somebody like Chris Owings, we wanted to have another premier shortstop that we thought was close."
Towers said a look at the free agent market along with who would be available next summer led him to deciding to make a deal for a shortstop now.
"We didn't want to go fishing in those big free agent ponds a year or two from now when you're going to be probably be overpaying for players that the talent doesn't equal the value," he said.
"He could play shortstop in the big leagues right now and be an above average shortstop," Towers said. "And we think the bat is close."
Gregorius will be under the D-backs' control for the next six years, which was something Towers said played a key role in Arizona's pursuit.
It's also one of the reasons why they were willing to part with a player like Bauer, who they valued less than fellow pitcher Tyler Skaggs.
"If we were going to move one of our talented young pitchers like a Trevor Bauer, where there was six years of control, we wanted a young shortstop with six years of control."
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: 'There will be competition' for closer spot
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.