Updated Dec 12, 2012 - 3:15 pm
D-backs GM Towers on Bauer trade: 'We liked Gregorius better'
"We liked Gregorius better," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday.
Towers was discussing the reasoning behind the trade he made the day before, which sent out Bauer along with pitchers Bryan Shaw and Matt Albers in exchange for shortstop Didi Gregorius, pitcher Tony Sipp and first baseman Lars Anderson.
The move has been questioned by many, as the thought of trading Bauer is a tough one to swallow. The pitcher was taken third overall in the 2011 MLB Draft and, while he struggled in a short stint with the D-backs last summer, is still thought of as one of the game's better pitching prospects.
However, Towers said the team needed to add quality depth at the shortstop position, and this was the time to do it.
"Other than Chris Owings we lacked depth in our system," he said. "We didn't want to put all of our eggs in one basket on somebody like Chris Owings, we wanted to have another premier shortstop that we thought was close."
Towers said a look at the free agent market along with who would be available next summer led him to deciding to make a deal for a shortstop now.
"We didn't want to go fishing in those big free agent ponds a year or two from now when you're going to be probably be overpaying for players that the talent doesn't equal the value," he said.
"He could play shortstop in the big leagues right now and be an above average shortstop," Towers said. "And we think the bat is close."
Gregorius will be under the D-backs' control for the next six years, which was something Towers said played a key role in Arizona's pursuit.
It's also one of the reasons why they were willing to part with a player like Bauer, who they valued less than fellow pitcher Tyler Skaggs.
"If we were going to move one of our talented young pitchers like a Trevor Bauer, where there was six years of control, we wanted a young shortstop with six years of control."
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- ESPN.com baseball writer Jerry Crasnick: D-backs trying to acquire elite starting pitcher this winter
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, RHP Bell in 3-team trade
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.