Updated Dec 11, 2012 - 4:34 pm
D-backs trade rumors swirling again
One of the busiest and most-talked about teams at the Nashville gathering was the Arizona Diamondbacks, and apparently GM Kevin Towers is at it again.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, the D-backs are involved in a three-team trade with the Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians.
Hoynes writes that Cleveland would send outfielder Shin-Soo Choo to Cincinnati for outfielder Drew Stubbs and shortstop prospect Didi Gregorius.
Cleveland would then flip Gregorius to the Diamondbacks in exchange for young pitching, either Tyler Skaggs or Trevor Bauer.
Gregorius, 22, is a left-handed hitting shortstop who split time last season between Double-A Pensacola and Triple-A Louisville, hitting .265 with seven home runs and 54 runs batted in over the course of 501 minor league at-bats. He committed 18 errors in 122 games.
The native of Amsterdam, The Netherlands was considered by most publications a top ten prospect in the Reds organization prior to the 2012 season. He did appear in eight games at the big-league level after being called up in September.
Gregorius also played in the Arizona Fall League with the Peoria Javelinas, batting .278 with one homer and eight RBI in 74 at-bats.
Skaggs and Bauer both reached the Major Leagues in 2012 after being rated as top ten prospects in all of baseball. Skaggs made six starts, going 1-3 with a 5.83 ERA and 21 strikeouts in 29.1 innings.
Bauer made four starts for Arizona, going 1-2 with a 6.06 ERA. He struck out 17 batters, but struggled with his control, issuing 13 walks in 16.1 innings. Bauer was named the Diamondbacks' Minor League Pitcher of the Year.
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.