Updated Dec 7, 2012 - 3:58 pm
D-backs agree to terms with free agent pitcher Brandon McCarthy
Diamondbacks have agreed to a deal with 29-year old free agent right handed pitcher Brandon McCarthy pending a physical— John Gambadoro (@Gambo620) December 7, 2012
McCarthy went 8-6 with a 3.24 ERA in 18 starts for the Oakland Athletics in 2012. The 6-foot-7 right-hander had his season cut short when he was struck in the head by a line drive off the bat of Los Angeles Angels infielder Erick Aybar. Oakland had termed the injury "life-threatening" immediately following, but the veteran was medically cleared to return to baseball last month.
In his seven-year career, McCarthy has posted a 37-39 record in 153 games (99 starts) with a 4.02 ERA. He was Oakland's opening day starter in 2012.
According to Nick Piecoro of AZCentral, the deal is worth $15.5 million over two years.
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: 'There will be competition' for closer spot
- Report: RHP Addison Reed could be flipped for future trade
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.