Updated Dec 7, 2012 - 10:52 am
Gammons quotes Rangers official: 'We got Upton'
MLB Network's Peter Gammons was present and recently tweeted about some of the "fun" surrounding the endless trade rumors about Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton:
If you don't believe the multi-team Upton trade talk, Wednesday night a Rangers official called an Astros officisl and said, "we got Upton."— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) December 7, 2012
Upton has been part of trade rumors for the last three offseasons, and his name has been one of the most talked about at this year's gathering.
Obviously nothing is official at this point and Gammons' tweet could indicate just how close the trade was to going down before the plug was pulled. It could also indicate that the deal is close to consummation.
Thursday, talk of complicated three and four-team deals surfaced with Upton being one of the centerpieces for potential swaps. Other teams that have been rumored in such deals are the Tampa Bay Rays, Cleveland Indians, and of course, the Texas Rangers.
Based on Gammons' tweet, Friday could be an interesting day on the Upton front.
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.