Updated Dec 7, 2012 - 10:52 am
Gammons quotes Rangers official: 'We got Upton'
MLB Network's Peter Gammons was present and recently tweeted about some of the "fun" surrounding the endless trade rumors about Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton:
If you don't believe the multi-team Upton trade talk, Wednesday night a Rangers official called an Astros officisl and said, "we got Upton."— Peter Gammons (@pgammo) December 7, 2012
Upton has been part of trade rumors for the last three offseasons, and his name has been one of the most talked about at this year's gathering.
Obviously nothing is official at this point and Gammons' tweet could indicate just how close the trade was to going down before the plug was pulled. It could also indicate that the deal is close to consummation.
Thursday, talk of complicated three and four-team deals surfaced with Upton being one of the centerpieces for potential swaps. Other teams that have been rumored in such deals are the Tampa Bay Rays, Cleveland Indians, and of course, the Texas Rangers.
Based on Gammons' tweet, Friday could be an interesting day on the Upton front.
- Mark Grace named D-backs minor league hitting coach
- Luis Gonzalez: Mark Trumbo a Christmas gift for Paul Goldschmidt
- Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Luis Gonzalez, D-backs World Series Legend - Friday December 20Gonzo discusses the Trumbo trade and what it means for the D-backs.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?