Updated Dec 6, 2012 - 11:29 am
MLB writer believes Diamondbacks will trade Justin Upton
Arguably the most talked about player during the Winter Meetings in Nashville, TN, Upton may very well be dealt over the next few weeks.
Regardless, Justice said there is a belief that Upton, wherever he is, has some good years ahead of him.
"I tell you, baseball executives think he's going to be, if not a superstar, a real big-time star over the next five years," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. That said, he understands why Arizona would consider dealing the former number one pick.
"So while you're building a franchise, the Diamondbacks have all kinds of starting pitching, but they have other needs and if you can satisfy some of those needs you ought to be at least in a listening mode."
Upton, who hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI last year, is an interesting player to try and project. He's played in two All-Star games and is just one year removed from a season in which he garnered MVP consideration.
But is that as good as it gets for Upton? If so, the D-backs may be wise to deal him now rather than wait for him to make good on his vast potential.
"I trust the analytics people, and they love the guy," Justice said. "They think the guy's on the path to being a real elite player in the league."
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?