Updated Dec 6, 2012 - 11:29 am
MLB writer believes Diamondbacks will trade Justin Upton
Arguably the most talked about player during the Winter Meetings in Nashville, TN, Upton may very well be dealt over the next few weeks.
Regardless, Justice said there is a belief that Upton, wherever he is, has some good years ahead of him.
"I tell you, baseball executives think he's going to be, if not a superstar, a real big-time star over the next five years," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf. That said, he understands why Arizona would consider dealing the former number one pick.
"So while you're building a franchise, the Diamondbacks have all kinds of starting pitching, but they have other needs and if you can satisfy some of those needs you ought to be at least in a listening mode."
Upton, who hit .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI last year, is an interesting player to try and project. He's played in two All-Star games and is just one year removed from a season in which he garnered MVP consideration.
But is that as good as it gets for Upton? If so, the D-backs may be wise to deal him now rather than wait for him to make good on his vast potential.
"I trust the analytics people, and they love the guy," Justice said. "They think the guy's on the path to being a real elite player in the league."
- D-backs GM: Shortstop position still up for grabs
- A little from Trevor Cahill would mean a lot for the D-backs
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Jeff Passan, senior baseball columnist Yahoo! Sports - Wednesday March 12Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.