Updated Dec 5, 2012 - 4:48 pm
Gibson: 'Chavez is a great addition to our team'
Speaking with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo, Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson confirmed, pending a physical, the gold glove third baseman will be making the move to Phoenix. With the deal all but assured, Chavez will become the second veteran player signed to the D-backs in the last 24 hours. Outfielder Eric Hinske agreed to a one year deal with Arizona on Tuesday.
"I know [Chavez] is a worker. Our interest in Eric, Hinske and Chavez, is that they're veteran guys," Gibson said, noting their comfort with hitting in high leverage situations. "But for our situational hitting, they're guys that know how to do that and can be counted on to do that and beyond what they can do individually, I think it's just a great addition to our team."
Gibson said Chavez will play a major role for the team in 2013.
Splitting time between first base, third base and designated hitter last year, Chavez had his most productive season in recent memory. He finished the 2012 season with a .281 batting average, 16 home runs and 37 runs batted for the AL East-winning New York Yankees.
"He had a very good year last year and he played in a very tough league last year," said Gibson. "So certainly we'll try and use him to our advantage."
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.