Updated Dec 5, 2012 - 10:33 am
Rumor: Diamondbacks talking Bauer for Cabrera swap
Pitcher Trevor Bauer, who struggled in a brief appearance with the team last summer, is rumored to be a subject in talks that would net the the team Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera. As reported by MLB.com:
If the trade comes to fruition, it would fulfill an obvious need for each side. In a thin free-agent shortstop market, Cabrera, a two-time All-Star, is an attractive trade option. And for an Indians club potentially in a rebuild-type situation, a young pitcher with upside like Bauer would fit the framework.
Cabrera, 27, hit .270 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI for the Indians last season, but had a career-year in 2011 when he tallied 25 home runs and 92 RBI. He would be an upgrade at shortstop for a team looking for just that, though he would not be coming cheap.
Because while Bauer had his share of issues in four Major League starts, the 21-year-old still projects to be a very good pitcher. He was Arizona's Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2012 after posting a 12-2 mark with a 2.42 ERA over stops in Double-A and Triple-A. He struck out 157 batters over 130.1 innings.
- D-backs GM: Shortstop position still up for grabs
- A little from Trevor Cahill would mean a lot for the D-backs
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Jeff Passan, senior baseball columnist Yahoo! Sports - Wednesday March 12Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports previews the 2014 Diamondbacks season.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.