Updated Dec 5, 2012 - 10:33 am
Rumor: Diamondbacks talking Bauer for Cabrera swap
Pitcher Trevor Bauer, who struggled in a brief appearance with the team last summer, is rumored to be a subject in talks that would net the the team Indians shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera. As reported by MLB.com:
If the trade comes to fruition, it would fulfill an obvious need for each side. In a thin free-agent shortstop market, Cabrera, a two-time All-Star, is an attractive trade option. And for an Indians club potentially in a rebuild-type situation, a young pitcher with upside like Bauer would fit the framework.
Cabrera, 27, hit .270 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI for the Indians last season, but had a career-year in 2011 when he tallied 25 home runs and 92 RBI. He would be an upgrade at shortstop for a team looking for just that, though he would not be coming cheap.
Because while Bauer had his share of issues in four Major League starts, the 21-year-old still projects to be a very good pitcher. He was Arizona's Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2012 after posting a 12-2 mark with a 2.42 ERA over stops in Double-A and Triple-A. He struck out 157 batters over 130.1 innings.
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: 'There will be competition' for closer spot
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.