Rumor: D-backs talking Upton for Lee trade with Philly
With the Winter Meetings going on in Nashville, there seems to be a new rumor concerning Arizona Diamondbacks right fielder Justin Upton, whom Arizona has shopped in some capacity in each of the last three offseasons.
But ESPN's Pedro Gomez may have dropped the juiciest of rumors on Twitter:
Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Justin Upton for Cliff Lee. Money coming to AZ would also be involved.— Pedro Gomez (@pedrogomezESPN) December 4, 2012
As word of that idea spread, though, many sources chimed in to refute it.
Ruben Amaro with a strong denial of the Lee-Upton report. "I don't comment on rumors but that one is Absolutely and unequivocally false."— High Cheese (@HighCheese) December 4, 2012
Dbacks source tells me the Upton/Lee stuff "hasn't been discussed" and is "off base."— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) December 4, 2012
Gibson on that Upton/Lee rumor: "I can tell you that's not going to happen."— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) December 4, 2012
Lee, 34, is coming off of a frustrating season with Philadelphia in which he went 6-9 with a 3.16 ERA in 30 starts. The 2008 American League Cy Young Award winner didn't earn his first victory until July 31.
Lee is owed $87.5 million over the next three seasons, so presumably, a ton of money would need to come back to Diamondbacks in any deal with Philadelphia.
Upton, 25, had a down season in 2012 as well, hitting .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI. The former first overall draft pick has three years and approximately $38.5 million left on his contract.
- Didi Gregorius, D-backs' shortstop - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf get to know the D-backs' shortstop.
- Daniel Hudson, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf ask Huddy how he's feeling, how his rehab is going and is he regaining control of his pi
- Josh Collmenter, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24The D-backs' pitcher sat down with Doug & Wolf at Chase Field.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs' pitcher - Friday May 24Doug & Wolf had a great conversation with the D-backs' pitcher.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday May 23Hall talks to Doug & Wolf about injured players and the upcoming series