Updated Dec 4, 2012 - 3:14 pm
Rumor: D-backs talking Upton for Lee trade with Philly
With the Winter Meetings going on in Nashville, there seems to be a new rumor concerning Arizona Diamondbacks right fielder Justin Upton, whom Arizona has shopped in some capacity in each of the last three offseasons.
But ESPN's Pedro Gomez may have dropped the juiciest of rumors on Twitter:
Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Justin Upton for Cliff Lee. Money coming to AZ would also be involved.— Pedro Gomez (@pedrogomezESPN) December 4, 2012
As word of that idea spread, though, many sources chimed in to refute it.
Ruben Amaro with a strong denial of the Lee-Upton report. "I don't comment on rumors but that one is Absolutely and unequivocally false."— High Cheese (@HighCheese) December 4, 2012
Dbacks source tells me the Upton/Lee stuff "hasn't been discussed" and is "off base."— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) December 4, 2012
Gibson on that Upton/Lee rumor: "I can tell you that's not going to happen."— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) December 4, 2012
Lee, 34, is coming off of a frustrating season with Philadelphia in which he went 6-9 with a 3.16 ERA in 30 starts. The 2008 American League Cy Young Award winner didn't earn his first victory until July 31.
Lee is owed $87.5 million over the next three seasons, so presumably, a ton of money would need to come back to Diamondbacks in any deal with Philadelphia.
Upton, 25, had a down season in 2012 as well, hitting .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI. The former first overall draft pick has three years and approximately $38.5 million left on his contract.
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- For the Arizona Diamondbacks, does stability sell?
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.