Updated Dec 4, 2012 - 3:14 pm
Rumor: D-backs talking Upton for Lee trade with Philly
With the Winter Meetings going on in Nashville, there seems to be a new rumor concerning Arizona Diamondbacks right fielder Justin Upton, whom Arizona has shopped in some capacity in each of the last three offseasons.
But ESPN's Pedro Gomez may have dropped the juiciest of rumors on Twitter:
Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Justin Upton for Cliff Lee. Money coming to AZ would also be involved.— Pedro Gomez (@pedrogomezESPN) December 4, 2012
As word of that idea spread, though, many sources chimed in to refute it.
Ruben Amaro with a strong denial of the Lee-Upton report. "I don't comment on rumors but that one is Absolutely and unequivocally false."— High Cheese (@HighCheese) December 4, 2012
Dbacks source tells me the Upton/Lee stuff "hasn't been discussed" and is "off base."— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) December 4, 2012
Gibson on that Upton/Lee rumor: "I can tell you that's not going to happen."— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) December 4, 2012
Lee, 34, is coming off of a frustrating season with Philadelphia in which he went 6-9 with a 3.16 ERA in 30 starts. The 2008 American League Cy Young Award winner didn't earn his first victory until July 31.
Lee is owed $87.5 million over the next three seasons, so presumably, a ton of money would need to come back to Diamondbacks in any deal with Philadelphia.
Upton, 25, had a down season in 2012 as well, hitting .280 with 17 home runs and 67 RBI. The former first overall draft pick has three years and approximately $38.5 million left on his contract.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks rumor mill
- Arizona Diamonbacks reportedly trying to sign OF Shin-Soo Choo
- Two Diamondbacks scouts named among Baseball America's scouts of the year
- Report: Diamondbacks in serious discussions about acquiring Angels outfielder Mark Trumbo
- Report: D-backs tried to land Yoenis Cespedes from A's in exchange for A.J. Pollock and Tyler Skaggs
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Analyst - Wednesday November 6Tim Kurkjian talks MLB free agency and off-season moves.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday October 30Tim Kurkjian talks about Game 6 of the World Series Wednesday.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday October 29The Red Sox are one win away from winning the World Series.