Updated Dec 9, 2012 - 10:00 am
D-backs Hot Stove: Winter Meetings in Nashville
The Arizona Diamondbacks have been rumored by some to be one of the most aggressive teams at the meetings, with right fielder Justin Upton being one of the most-talked about commodities discussed.
Here, we'll try to keep you abreast of all the Diamondbacks-related rumblings happening in Music City.
Saturday, December 8
Thursday, December 6
Upton's trade value higher than ever Towers says b/c of way OF $$ has inflated in Nashville.— Scott Miller (@ScottMCBS) December 6, 2012
• Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports writes that a deal for Justin Upton could fuel the next round of moves around baseball.
• Sports Illustrated's Tom Verducci thinks the time is right for the Diamondbacks and Justin Upton to part ways...and he brings up a startling comparison when talking about Upton's road statistics during his career.
• Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of Fox Sports chronicle the Rangers' hot pursuit of Upton.
• David Schoenfield of ESPN.com writes about his discussion with Eric Karabell on whether or not D-backs' RF Justin Upton is a top-ten building block in baseball.
Wednesday, December 5
3-way and 4-way at standstill for moment. Dbacks need more than asdrubal for upton. Not sure what holdup is tho.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 5, 2012
Many combinations discussed by 3/4 teams but word is 1 had upton going to tex, asdrubal to AZ and martin perez plus to cle— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 5, 2012
#rangers said working hard now on justin upton.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 5, 2012
• Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com writes about a potential trade that would send young right-hander Trevor Bauer to Cleveland for shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera.
• Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports wrote a piece about the possibility of a three-team trade between the Diamondbacks, Indians and Rays that would include Upton and Cleveland shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera coming to Arizona.
Tuesday, December 4
• ESPN's Tim Kurkjian and Jim Bowden talk about the rumors between the D-backs and Rangers involving Upton and Texas shortstop Elvis Andrus. (Insider subscription required)
Dbacks and a's among teams looking at ss nakajima— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 5, 2012
Source: Chances of #Diamondbacks trading Kubel better than chances of them trading Upton.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 5, 2012
The Arizona Diamondbacks have constructed a four-team deal that's currently dormant. Would net them Asdrubal Cabrera, if it's revitalized.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 4, 2012
Kevin Towers says he expects to have backup catcher signed by the time he leaves Nashville. Multiple offers out right now to free agents.— Arizona Diamondbacks (@Dbacks) December 4, 2012
One name to keep an eye on as #Dbacks look for backup catcher is Rod Barajas.— Steve Gilbert (@SteveGilbertMLB) December 4, 2012
#dbacks are talking to a few on upton. would like profar/andrus, andrelton or asdrubal. wont do m's nick franklin. 2 young— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 4, 2012
Gibson on that Upton/Lee rumor: "I can tell you that's not going to happen."— Nick Piecoro (@nickpiecoro) December 4, 2012
Phillies and Diamondbacks are discussing Justin Upton for Cliff Lee. Money coming to AZ would also be involved.— Pedro Gomez (@pedrogomezESPN) December 4, 2012
According to CBSSports.com senior writers Scott Miller and Danny Knobler, Kubel the D-Backs are looking to deal Kubel and some even expect a trade to be completed Tuesday.
• The Diamondbacks have signed veteran infielder Eric Hinske to a one-year deal.
Rangers considering signing Hamilton then trading Andrus for Upton and playing Profar at SS despite present position of not trading Andrus— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) December 4, 2012
#Braves have been portrayed as a big pursuer of Justin Upton. But sources say Braves & Dbacks have concluded there's "not going to be a fit"— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) December 4, 2012
The #Dbacks have been very aggresssive at winter meetings shopping RF Justin Upton, but no team has stepped up to give them frontline SS— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) December 4, 2012
• CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reported that the Diamondbacks met with the Seattle Mariners about Upton's availability. In a tweet, Heyman wondered if a package of prospects including right-hander Taijuan Walker and shortstop Nick Franklin would be enough. Both are considered top five prospects in the Seattle organization by Baseball America.
• Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com takes a look at how the Justin Upton trade rumors have become a sort of tradition at the Winter Meetings...
• Doug Mittler of ESPN reports that the Diamondbacks still have plenty of interest (as do other teams) in Oakland free agent right-hander Brandon McCarthy. (Insider subscription required)
Monday, December 3
Mariners/dbacks met tonite. upton on menu. Could ss nick franklin and rhp taijuan walker entuce?— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) December 4, 2012
Sources: Diamondbacks met with Mets on Dickey, talks didn't get far. Mets price said to be very high.— Andy Martino (@MartinoNYDN) December 4, 2012
The Diamondbacks are said to be one of the most aggressive teams here so far... Execs with other teams have thought they will trade J.Upton.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 3, 2012
On December 1, Jayson Stark of ESPN wrote in his winter meetings preview that Upton would be the "human trade rumor" in Nashville.
For the third straight winter meetings, the Diamondbacks will spend the week listening on their intriguing 25-year-old right fielder. And although, as one AL exec put it, they might not be "aggressively shopping him, they've definitely done a good job of letting teams know they will listen."
- Dose of Venom: Nuño denied first NL victory, D-backs bullpen implodes in crushing loss to Pirates
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.