Updated Dec 1, 2012 - 7:52 am
D-backs targeting INF Aubrey Huff
Seeking a left-handed bat to platoon with either Goldschmidt or Johnson, it apparently hasn't taken long for general manager Kevin Towers to reach out to an available veteran.
In need of a backup corner IF, #Dbacks have made contact with Aubrey Huff, source said.— Jack Magruder (@JackMagruder) December 1, 2012
Huff, a 12-year veteran, is very familiar with the NL West, having played the past three-plus seasons with the San Francisco Giants. Although the former fifth-round selection has won two World Series rings with the Giants (2010 and 2012), Huff's numbers have dramatically decreased over the past few seasons.
In 2011, he finished last among NL first baseman in OPS (.676), and saw his batting average (.246), home runs (12), RBI (57) and walks (47) all take significant dives from the 2010 season.
Last year in San Francisco, Huff began the season as Bruce Bochy's opening day left fielder, but injuries and a lack of production (.192 batting average, one home run and seven RBI), reduced him to a minor role during the Giants' championship run.
As a Giant, Huff has made a living against the Arizona pitching, hitting .321 with seven home runs and 22 RBI.
- Mark Grace named D-backs minor league hitting coach
- Luis Gonzalez: Mark Trumbo a Christmas gift for Paul Goldschmidt
- Diamondbacks extend relief pitcher Brad Ziegler
- D-backs pitcher Brandon McCarthy: Protective headgear will be available in 2014
- The Pulse: 'Let's wait and see' on Addison Reed-Matt Davidson trade
- Luis Gonzalez, D-backs World Series Legend - Friday December 20Gonzo discusses the Trumbo trade and what it means for the D-backs.
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?