Updated Dec 1, 2012 - 7:52 am
D-backs targeting INF Aubrey Huff
Seeking a left-handed bat to platoon with either Goldschmidt or Johnson, it apparently hasn't taken long for general manager Kevin Towers to reach out to an available veteran.
In need of a backup corner IF, #Dbacks have made contact with Aubrey Huff, source said.— Jack Magruder (@JackMagruder) December 1, 2012
Huff, a 12-year veteran, is very familiar with the NL West, having played the past three-plus seasons with the San Francisco Giants. Although the former fifth-round selection has won two World Series rings with the Giants (2010 and 2012), Huff's numbers have dramatically decreased over the past few seasons.
In 2011, he finished last among NL first baseman in OPS (.676), and saw his batting average (.246), home runs (12), RBI (57) and walks (47) all take significant dives from the 2010 season.
Last year in San Francisco, Huff began the season as Bruce Bochy's opening day left fielder, but injuries and a lack of production (.192 batting average, one home run and seven RBI), reduced him to a minor role during the Giants' championship run.
As a Giant, Huff has made a living against the Arizona pitching, hitting .321 with seven home runs and 22 RBI.
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.