Updated Nov 30, 2012 - 9:58 am
D-backs release Brad Bergesen
According to MLB on Fox reporter Ken Rosenthal, the D-backs and Bergesen came to an agreement to allow the right handed pitcher to enter free agnecy in order to sign a one-year deal with Japan's Chunichi Dragons.
Free-agent RHP Brad Bergesen on verge of 1-yr deal with Japan's Chunichi Dragons, sources say. #Diamondbacks released him so he could go.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) November 30, 2012
After three seasons with the Baltimore Orioles, the 27-year-old right hander was claimed off waivers by Arizona in 2012. But after spending most of the 2012 season in the minor leagues, the D-backs decided to let Bergesen go ahead of the Nov. 30 non-tender deadline.
He would have been arbitration eligible for a second straight season and had been a non-tender candidate with a projected salary of $1 million.
Bergesen pitched 29.2 innings for the Diamondbacks this past season and posted a 3.64 ERA with 18 strikeouts and seven walks.
- In second year with D-backs, Martin Prado finally feeling 'comfortable and settled'
- No clear lineup materializing for 2014 Arizona Diamondbacks
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill 'unable to execute' against Oakland
- D-backs president Hall: Mark Trumbo is 'everything as advertised'
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Patrick Corbin where he needs to be moving towards season opener
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.